Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Water Polo Plus Relevance

More than a few years back, I took at Water Polo class at the college I attended. Notice, I'm not sporting the school pride by announcing my alum. Jerks. Where was I?

I had made the decision to cheat the system by taking Beginning Swimming, which is kind of a joke considering that I am a lifeguard. Okay, wait. Sometimes that doesn't mean jack taco because some teens become guards to see how much humor they can find in a fat culture trying to squish their back and belly fat into spandex. And I definitely am that guard, but I also happen to be a damn good swimmer. Please note that my swimming is pretty and not fast. I don't want the random haters tryin' to challenge me to some kind of swim off, because I've only done that once and I will not lose $250.00 again. I ask again, where was I at? Beginning Swimming. Right.

I took the class because I knew that I could find reasonable success in the class. It was really fun. Being the egomaniac that I am, it was nice to once again be "King of the Hill." Did I mention that I don't tolerate competition well? I drank an entire bottle of KC Masterpiece once not because I was dared, but because someone wasn't listening to me when I told them that I loved BBQ sauce, so I drank it in the middle of the restaurants to gain his attention. Continuing on...

We were playing water polo.

Screams and shouts were echoing of the moldy over-chlorinated pool. After the festivities, we were all pleased with the days performance. Everyone was paddling to the side when I looked up, there was my 60 year old gym professor screaming at us to apologize to each other. Someone must have forgot to tell her that generation x doesn't play nice. "It's not personal, it's business." Needless to say, she made us all hold hands and look each other in the eyes and say, "If during the course of this game, I have somehow offended you or hurt your feelings, I truly apologize for myself and my actions." It seemed silly then, but as I walked away from the game, I mentally catalogued this memory thinking that I some day might need it.

Right now, I feel the need to say that this weekend I hung out with some new friends and some old friends. And for some reason, I think I might have offended you. To you I say, "If for some reason during the course of this weekend I made you feel uncomfortable, or if I offended you in any way, I truly apologize for myself and my actions."

And I want to eat food again sometime under much less complicated circumstances, friend.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark Zilch Newvillage said...

first of all, thank u for ur admiration for my pix.
i love swimming too and i used to swim a lot in college. im not a fast swimmer, though. just enough for a daily exercise.
"sorry" is probably the hardest word to say

7:09 PM  
Blogger bad-journalist.blogspot.com said...

. . .

You drank a whole bottle of KC Masterpiece?

7:52 PM  
Blogger genderist said...

If I'm the person to whom you think you owe an apology, let me also be the person to tell you that you're sadly mistaken. It's all good.

I plead hormone imbalance.

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home